- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 4 Heath candy bars (1.4 ounces each), crushed
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until and fluffy. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla. Stir in oats; press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter; stir until blended. Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars. Chill until set; cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Chocolate Bars
"This recipe was an unexpected treat! I was not really sure how they would turn out as I'd not made anything quite like them before, but I really enjoyed the texture and the flavor. The peanut butter and chocolate taste combo is really yummy!"
"I tried it because I had everything on hand and it was quick and easy, but it was unimpressive. The crust is chewy and sweet, but lacks any real flavor; and the chocolate layer doesn't quite make up for it. Overall it satisfies a sweet tooth and smears nicely over my 2-year-old, but it won't be a regular at my house."
"These turned out beautifully! So yummy! Bottom layer is chewy and so good! Chocolate layer is creamy and delicious! Loved the crunch of the crushed Heath bars on top! I'll make these again and again!"
"I found these bars dry. I followed the recipe exactly. The oatmeal bottom layer tastes like a granola bar without any chewiness. After a night in a tupperware container they moistened up. I won't make them again because there are so many similar recipes for bars that are much better. Needs caramel and/or coconut. :("
"Since a family member is allergic to corn, wheat and peanuts with a few adjustments this made a great dessert for the whole family. Instead of corn syrup I used agave syrup and substitued soy butter for the peanut butter. It was absolutely delicious! Definitely a keeper!"
"I just made this recipe...yummy! I omited the Heath Bar topping because my hubby is not a fan and this recipe was still plenty sweet and tasty without them. What a nice recipe and so easy...with ingredients the average cook always has on hand! Thanks for sharing this. :-)"