- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, quick or regular
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses, light
- 1 egg, room temperature
- Combine yeast, 1 1/2 cups flour, oatmeal and salt. Heat water, oil and molasses to 120°-130°F. Add liquids to flour mixture; blend on low speed. Beat 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Scrape batter from side of bowl. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir down batter. Pour into 1 1/2 - or 2-quart casserole dish or skillet. (Optional: For topping, mix egg white with 1 tsp water, then lightly brush the mixture on top of the loaf and sprinkle with uncooked oatmeal.) Let rise in warm place about 30 minutes. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 40 to 50 minutes or until well browned on sides and top. Remove from casserole. If desired, brush with butter; cool on rack. Yield: 1 loaf
Originally published as Oatmeal Casserole Bread in Red Star® Yeast 2015
Reviews for Oatmeal Casserole Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review