- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter and
- sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and
- nutmeg. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oats. Pour
- into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out
- with moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1
- minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Return to a boil. Cook and stir 1
- minute. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and salt.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Immediately
- spread icing over cake. Let stand until set. Yield: 20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 216 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 193 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.