- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in the oats. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Return to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Immediately spread icing over cake. Let stand until set. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Oatmeal Cake with Caramel Icing
Sort By :
Very good. Certainly different. So moist and the icing added great flavor. Thanks for sharing.
This is really good. I was skeptical of a cake recipe having so little fat, but it was moist and delicious! I added a little extra cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. It's the flavor of oatmeal cookies in a cake. I didn't think it needed quite that much icing, so the next time I made 1 1/2 cakes with 1 recipe of icing. It's also good without the icing; I think it would be good plain for breakfast or maybe as muffins.
Delicious - I used old fashioned oats and the texture was fine. It's a new favorite to be made often!
sounds wonderfu. , Since I only use old fashion oats, would this change the texture?
very good and moist