Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine oats and water; let stand for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, applesauce and eggs. Add oat mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; spread over hot cake. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece: 288 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Frosting
"This was a very easy cake to make. It also turned out very moist. My only complaint, like one of the other reviewers, is that it was missing something. I like their suggestion of raisins and may try adding that next time."
"This is one of my favorite recipes. I don't always make the broiled frosting. Sometimes i just sprinkle cin and sugar over the top. It is easy to make, inexpensive and I almost always have all the ingrediants on hand which is why I am making it today."
"This is an excellent recipe! I will definitely make again."
"I really liked this cake. It reminded me of all the "harvest" cakes I had as a child. I seriously considered adding either a jar of baby carrots or just adding some golden raisins to the mix. The cake itself was a little bland and could use something more. Otherwise my only complaint was that I don't think there was quite enough frosting. I realize it was supposed to be thinner, but I had some small bald spots on my cake that I just couldn't cover.M."
"can be halved using an 8x8 pan!"