Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Frosting Recipe
After enjoying this recipe for more than 30 years, I knew it was time to revise it. I was happy to discover that replacing the oil with applesauce and using fat-free half-and-half didn't alter the flavor of my favorite snack. —Pat Van Cleve of Winston-Salem, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:15 servings
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine oats and water; let stand for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the sugars, applesauce and eggs. Add oat mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually add to batter and mix well.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; spread over hot cake. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 288 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 305 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC