Oatmeal Brulee with Ginger Cream Recipe
This is an awesome dish for a chilly morning. I love the crispy, caramelized top and raspberry surprise at the bottom. —Yvonne Starlin, Portland, Tennessee
- GINGER CREAM:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 slices fresh gingerroot (about 3/4-inch diameter)
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the cream, ginger, cinnamon stick and orange peel; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; strain and discard solids. Stir in syrup and nutmeg.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in the oats, apricots, cherries and salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in brown sugar and 1/4 cup ginger cream. Let stand, covered, for 2 minutes.
- 3. Grease four 10-oz. broiler-safe ramekins with butter; place on a baking sheet. Divide raspberries among ramekins. Spoon oatmeal over raspberries; sprinkle evenly with sugar. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve with remaining ginger cream. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving with 1 tablespoon cream equals 490 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC