Lynette Rens of Maynard, Minnesota sent us these over-the-top brownie bars. They were chocolatey and delicious, and our tasting panel absolutely loved them!
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Beat in walnuts.
- Spread batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 30-60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips and butter until smooth. Immediately spread over bars. Let stand until frosting is set. Cut into squares. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Oatmeal Brownie Bars in Healthy Cooking
Reviews for Oatmeal Brownie Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review