- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in bananas, oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes. Immediately remove cookies to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Oatmeal Banana Cookies
"easy to make...taste nice and moist..."
"I cooked at a higher temp (450) for a shorter time (9 mins) and substituted ginger(which I had) for the cloves(which I did not have). The cookies were moist and delicious :)"
"These are great flavored cookies but they were a little dry. I used a cup of butter instead of the butter-flavored shortening and I used a cup of chopped walnuts instead of the chocolate chips. I even used a quarter cup of whipping cream but they were still a little dry. I will make them again and experiment to get a more moist cookie."
"Great quick cookie! Absolutely adorable...."
"I adjusted this one to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand. Instead of a full cup of butter flavored Crisco, I used 1/2 cup each of regular Crisco and butter. Instead of chocolate chips, white chocolate chips went into the batter. Next time, I'll add some walnuts or pecans."
"Excellent taste and texture! Cookies are very soft and moist. I would have added more chocolate chips, but my wife thinks that more chocolate would everpower the very pleasant banana taste. Definitely a keeper!"
"I had to make this with butter because my children are allergic to soy including shortening. These cookies were easy to make with my little ones. They were soft and rounded like pumpkin cookies and yummy. Next time I will substitute half of the butter for applesauce. Oh and I used unsalted butter because I figure butter flavored shortening is unsalted."
"I would never make this cookies as described. Shortening?? Really..NO"
"These where great I agree with others though it dose not make what it says. I even used a Mellon ball scoop to insure size was good. I have made it with raisins and pecans instead of chips and walnuts it was good too! ....I made these another time turned out great but this time seemed to have too much clove but I did what it called for. Next time I will use nutmeg and I think they would be great."