Oatmeal Animal Crackers
"When I was a child, we kids helped Mom cut these crispy crackers into all sorts of shapes," recalls Bob Dittmar of Trout Run, Pennsylvania. "They're not too sweet, but sweet enough that we always wanted more."
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a bowl, combine sugar, oats, baking soda and salt. Cut in
- shortening until crumbly. Add water and vanilla; stir until
- blended. Add enough flour to form a stiff dough. On a lightly
- floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into
- rectangles or use cookie cutters dipped in flour. Using a floured
- spatula, transfer to greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for
- 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield:
- about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 165 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.