Oat-Topped Rhubarb Pie
"For many years we had a bountiful rhubarb crop, and this pie was one way I could get my three sons to eat it," recalls Marion Lipinsky of Winnipeg, Manitoba. "We look forward to this tasty springtime treat."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 4-1/2 cups fresh or frozen chopped rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond
- edge of plate. Flute edges; set aside. In a bowl, toss brown sugar,
- water, tapioca and rhubarb; let stand for 15 minutes. Pour into
- crust. For topping, combine oats and brown sugar in a bowl. Cut in
- butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until browned and bubbly.
- Cool for 3 hours before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 451 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium, 82 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.