"Kids of all ages seem to enjoy the creative combination of ingredients in this not-so-sweet mix," says Patti Brandt of Reedsburg, Wisconsin. "My three children would rather munch on this snack than on candy."
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups square oat cereal
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered raisins
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved; stir until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, oats and nuts. Drizzle with butter mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 275° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cranberries and chocolate-covered raisins. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 6 cups.
Originally published as Oat Snack Mix in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p66
Reviews for Oat Snack Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review