Oat Rolls Recipe
This recipe is a standard served with our Thanksgiving meal since I discovered it in a paper in 1969. It is so quick and simple to make that it is a perfect addition to a holiday meal.LaDale Trimble, Sonoma, California
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, pour milk over oats. Add shortening and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture, sugar, egg, egg yolk and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine oats and salt. Brush egg white over rolls. Sprinkle with oat mixture. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Oat Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p122
Reviews for Oat Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >