- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, butter and salt; stir in boiling water. Cool to 110°-115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oat mixture and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 20 pieces. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack; brush with melted butter. Yield: 20 rolls.
Reviews for Oat Pan Rolls
"Love these rolls! They are a family favorite always requested for the holidays. They freeze well to have anytime. They are a heavy roll but very delicious great to go along side just a bowl of soup or a salad."
"These are wonderful and delicious rolls. I always keep rolls and/or biscuits in my freezer. They keep well and then I have them when I need them. Yum-yum!"
"LOVED these rolls!"
"Yummy! They have a very good flavor!"
"Delicious! I made 18 of these rolls, so larger then recipe called for. I put 9 of them in the freezer for another time as Debbie Johnson suggested. I baked up the other 9 in a 8 x 8 pan. Light and fluffy. Thanks for the recipe."
"These were just too heavy. I'm an experienced baker of breads, kneaded the dough well, and it was a nice enough dough. They all baked together in the pan.....I think maybe I'd have preferred baking them on two cookie sheets so they weren't so welded together after baking."
"these rolls are divine! I don't know what I was expecting but it was waaayyy over the top. DEFINITELY give them a try! I have lost count of the times my family has asked me to make them!!! Thanks for such a keeper!"