Oat Nut Bread Recipe
A bread machine makes the process of preparing homemade bread so much easier. Toasted nuts enhance the flavor of this lovely loaf.—Diane Morrill, Grand Forks, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours YIELD:16 servings
- 1-1/4 cups warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the milk, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla, brown sugar, salt, flours and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- 2. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 3. Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add oats and nuts. Brush baked loaf with remaining butter. Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices).
1 slice equals 141 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 168 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC