Meet the Cook: Thanks to this dessert, our house is a popular place in summertime. I make it for family get-togethers, picnics and potlucks, too. It's a treat on a breakfast or brunch buffet also. We like it best with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. We're the parents of a grown son. -Linda Forrest, Belleville, Ontario
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Drain strawberries on paper towels; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1-1/2 cups for topping. Pat remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- In a bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; stir in strawberries. Spoon over the prepared crust. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Oat-Fashioned Strawberry Dessert in Country Woman May/June 1998, p31
Reviews for Oat-Fashioned Strawberry Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review