- 2-1/3 cups water, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 5 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in oats; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar, butter, salt and remaining water.
- Transfer to a large bowl; let stand until mixture reaches 110°-115°. Stir in yeast. Add 3 cups flour; beat well. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 24 rolls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Oat Dinner Rolls
"These were easy and delicious. I cut the recipe in half and just made 12. I will make these again and again..."
"So easy to make, and really nice results. I made 20 instead of 24...and got rolls the size of hamburger buns. They were a great hit here. I like the bit denser texture that oatmeal gives them. I used light brown sugar, but next time I will use dark for the extra flavor."
"Great flavor! I made bread instead of rolls. I only had old-fashioned oats, so I cooked them a minute longer. I didn't have brown sugar so I used 2/3 cup honey. Granddaughter loves oatmeal with cinnamon, so I toast the bread and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar. She calls it "my favorite no-bowl oatmeal". Very good and easy recipe for bread or rolls. A keeper!"
"I used palm sugar, and subbed 3 cups whole wheat flour for some of the all purpose white. They did not have that overly yeasty flavor my whole wheat rolls often have. They turned out light and tasty.My total time for these was just under 3 hours."
"I have been making these rolls for several years. They are easy and so delicious!"
"These are wonderful. Follow directions for bread machine, the shape and freeze. Family of 2 and we love fresh hot bread with our evening meal. Thanks"
"These rolls are terrific. I do a lot of cooking for various groups and am always looking for new and easy bread and roll recipes. This one always gets rave reviews."
"Very good! I halved the recipe and didn't cook the oatmeal first and they turned out great."
"They are great with soup!"