Oat-Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas. Combine the flour, oats, salt, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Oat-Chip Banana Bread(4)
Sort By :
Perfect bread! Made mine into bars for quicker baking, about 35 minutes. I might try butterscotch chips next time :) oh, I did use vegetable oil instead of shortening & it worked great!
This is my family's favorite bread, I have probably made this over 45 times since I found the recipe.
My trick is to use whole oats and chop them up in the food procceser. It makes people guess at what that crunchy, wheaty flavor is.
I made this bread adding a handful of walnuts and using butterscotch chips. The result was very good! The oatmeal gives it a great taste! LOVE IT!
This bread is delicious! I baked it for 50 minutes and used regular chocolate chips. YUMMY!!