Oat Berry Squares
In her Clover, South Carolina kitchen, Jennifer Robinson flavors these popular snack bars with spreadable fruit and a crumb topping. "I found the original recipe in an old children's book, but I pared down the sugar and added more fruit for sweetness. I'm alway asked for the recipe." she relates.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 jar (10 ounces) 100% cherry, strawberry spreadable fruit or raspberry spreadable fruit
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda
- and salt; stir in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping.
- Pat remaining oat mixture into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with
- cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes. Spread with fruit spread. Sprinkle
- with reserved crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes or until edges are
- lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One piece equals 150 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.