Oat 'n' Nut Griddle Cakes Recipe
“I had gestational diabetes with each of my four pregnancies, and created this recipe to satisfy my craving for something sweet without compromising nutritional value,” says Sharon Schenker of Kernersville, North Carolina. “Although I no longer have diabetes, this recipe has become a healthy treat, and a frequently family favorite.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min./batch YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Combine the egg, milk, oil and honey; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in oats and pecans.
- 2. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown. Yield: 12 griddle cakes.
2 griddle cakes equals 248 calories, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC