Nutty Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
In Lakeville, Indiana, Rosadene Herold's recipe box is quickly gaining in gains. "Moist and nutty, this whole wheat bread has excellent flavor and always bakes up golden and tender. You may want to make a couple loaves at a time," she suggests. "It never lasts long at our house!"
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, brown sugar, yeast and salt.
- 2. In a saucepan, heat the water, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes (do not let rise).
- 3. Shape dough into a ball; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 20 minutes. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
One slice equals 156 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC