- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, brown sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a saucepan, heat the water, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes (do not let rise).
- Shape dough into a ball; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 20 minutes. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Nutty Whole Wheat Bread
"I've made this bread many times. It is fast and easy enough to make for supper after work. The food processor makes quick work of chopping the walnuts, but I keep a jar already processed on standby in the fridge. For Christmas, I gave a loaf wrapped in a new kitchen towel with a jar of local honey as gifts. Everyone raved!"