Nutty Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, brown sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a saucepan, heat the water, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes (do not let rise).
- Shape dough into a ball; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 20 minutes. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Nutty Whole Wheat Bread(1)
Sort By :
I've made this bread many times. It is fast and easy enough to make for supper after work. The food processor makes quick work of chopping the walnuts, but I keep a jar already processed on standby in the fridge. For Christmas, I gave a loaf wrapped in a new kitchen towel with a jar of local honey as gifts. Everyone raved!