"I use holiday tins to deliver this sweetly coated popcorn-nut crunch to family and friends on my Christmas list," notes Glenna Hale of Sceptre, Saskatchewan.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds, toasted
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a large bowl, combine popcorn and nuts. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and cream of tartar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300°-310° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; quickly stir in baking soda and extract until mixture is light and foamy. Immediately pour over popcorn mixture; toss gently. Spread into two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Press gently to flatten. Cool completely. Break into pieces. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Originally published as Nutty Toffee Popcorn in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p66
Reviews for Nutty Toffee Popcorn
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2007
"really delicious...i am always asked for the recipe by numerous people."