Nutty Sweet Potato Biscuits
Back in the 1920's and '30's Mom always had something good for us to eat when we got home from school. Her wood range had an apron right by the firebox, and Mom often left a plate of these warm wonderful biscuits waiting for us. What a treat! Mrs. India Thacker, Clifford, Virginia
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg
- and nuts. In another bowl, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, butter and
- vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix well.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead slightly. Roll dough to
- 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter and place on
- lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or
- until golden brown. Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 217 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.