Nutty Shortbread Cookies
My husband and I like the buttery flavor of shortbread cookies and have tweaked recipes through the years to come up with this mouthwatering version.Angela Garcia, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
30 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract or 1 teaspoon hazelnut liqueur
- 30 red and/or green candied cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar, almonds and
- salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in
- extract. Knead dough until smooth, about 6-10 times.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, carefully make an
- indentation in the center of each. Fill each with a candied cherry.
- Bake at 300° for 30-35 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute
- before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in
- an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 110 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium,