Nutty Rosemary Bread Recipe
This tender golden loaf has a mild rosemary and pecan flavor. "A doctor who came to our office regularly made bread for us every year. I wanted the recipe...and he knew it by heart," recalls Naomi Knobloch of Lester, Iowa. "Now I make it to give as gifts and for our hospital fair."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oil, honey, cornmeal, rosemary, salt, 1 cup bread flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; add pecans. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. Punch dough down. Divide in half; shape into two loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Brush egg over loaves. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
One slice equals 150 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC