Nutty Quick Bread
Grape-Nuts cereal gives these fast-to-fix loaves their nutty flavor and chewy texture. "The bread is a family favorite because it's so unusual," writes Melissa Walworth of Boise, Idaho. "Warm slices are delicious with butter," she adds.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and cereal; let stand for 10
- minutes. Add egg. Combine the dry ingredients; stir into cereal
- mixture just until moistened.
- Spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for
- 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
- racks. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 110 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 162 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.