- until light and fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add
- to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture, beating well
- after each addition.
- In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft
- peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into two greased and floured
- 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out
- clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar, sour cream and
- egg yolks. Cook and stir over low heat just until mixture begins to
- simmer and reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a
- metal spoon. Remove from the heat; add nuts and vanilla. Transfer to
- a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and
- cocoa until fluffy. Add coffee, 1 tablespoon at a time, until
- mixture achieves spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with filling. Top with
- second layer. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides
- of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 608 calories, 27 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 236 mg sodium, 86 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.