Nutty Poppy Seed Torte with Creamy Mocha Frosting Recipe
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- MOCHA FROSTING:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot strong brewed coffee
- 1. In a small bowl, combine milk and poppy seeds; let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with poppy seed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- 3. In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 4. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 5. For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar, sour cream and egg yolks. Cook and stir over low heat just until mixture begins to simmer and reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; add nuts and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- 6. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until fluffy. Add coffee, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture achieves spreading consistency.
- 7. Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread with filling. Top with second layer. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice: 608 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Nutty Poppy Seed Torte with Creamy Mocha Frosting
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.