Nutty Orange Snowballs Recipe
These nutty, buttery cookies will melt in your mouth, leaving just a trace of orange flavor. An old recipe from my mom in North Dakota, they used to be reserved only for weddings and special occasions. But they're great for Christmas because they look just like snowballs! —Judith Weidner, Spearfish, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Place remaining confectioners' sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Add cookies, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie equals 107 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC