Nutty Gingered Carrots
“My mother makes a delicious carrot and onion side dish, but it calls for a whole stick of butter. My lighter version uses only 1 tablespoon and relies on some lively Asian flavors to make up the difference.” A scrumptious side! Jeanne Holt - Mendota Heights, Minnesota
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 large carrots, sliced
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add ginger; cook
- 1 minute longer. Stir in the carrots, orange juice, butter, honey,
- orange peel, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or
- until carrots are tender. Stir in walnuts and sprinkle with parsley.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 122 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,