“My mother makes a delicious carrot and onion side dish, but it calls for a whole stick of butter. My lighter version uses only 1 tablespoon and relies on some lively Asian flavors to make up the difference.” A scrumptious side! Jeanne Holt - Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Recommended: 17 Ways to Get More Fruitcake in Your Life
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 6 large carrots, sliced
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the carrots, orange juice, butter, honey, orange peel, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in walnuts and sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Nutty Gingered Carrots in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p53
Reviews for Nutty Gingered Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review