Nutty French Toast
This sweet breakfast treat, from Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa, is a cross of caramel rolls and French toast. "It's easy to begin the night before," she shares. "In the morning, just spread on the nutty topping and bake as you are getting ready for the day."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 8 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl,
- beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon; pour over the bread. Cover
- and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes
- before baking.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and syrup until
- smooth; spread over bread. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake, uncovered, at
- 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 783 calories, 36 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 267 mg cholesterol, 877 mg sodium, 97 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.