This sweet breakfast treat, from Mavis Diment of Marcus, Iowa, is a cross of caramel rolls and French toast. "It's easy to begin the night before," she shares. "In the morning, just spread on the nutty topping and bake as you are getting ready for the day."
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Place bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon; pour over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream butter, brown sugar and syrup until smooth; spread over bread. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Nutty French Toast in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p9
Reviews for Nutty French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review