Nutty Coleslaw Recipe
My mom used to make this coleslaw often when I was little. I think my three siblings and I must've requested it often, because each of use was allowed to eat six peanuts as a special treat while Mom was making it. I remember we'd all line up at the kitchen table to wait for her to count them out!
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanuts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. Place cabbage and peanuts in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a bowl, beat eggs and cream until frothy; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring remaining dressing ingredients to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually beat into egg mixture. Return to heat; cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Set aside to cool. Pour over cabbage; toss to coat. Refrigerate. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 167 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 261 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC