Nutty Chocolate Muffins Recipe
The ever-popular combination of peanut butter and chocolate transforms muffins into extra-special treats. Your family will gobble them up at Christmastime or any time at all.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in peanuts and chocolate chips. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the peanut butter, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a large star tip. Fill bag with peanut butter filling. Insert tip into the top of each cupcake; fill with about 2 teaspoons filling, gradually lifting and piping a small amount of filling onto top of muffins. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
1 muffin equals 437 calories, 25 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC