“My mother-in-law and her mother used this recipe and passed it on to me over 30 years ago,” says Anita Gay of Janesville, Wisconsin. “The caramels make a great gift during the holidays.”
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Grease with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan with 1 teaspoon butter; add the corn syrup, water, sugar, chocolate, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and blended, about 6 minutes.
- Gradually stir in cream. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage), about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and walnuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cool; cut into squares. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Yield: 4 dozen (about 1-3/4 pounds).
Originally published as Nutty Chocolate Caramels in Taste of Home October/November 2005, p53
Reviews for Nutty Chocolate Caramels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review