Nutty Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, beat almond paste and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in cream until fluffy. Cut each cake horizontally in half; spread filling over bottom layers. Replace top layers.
- 3. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in sour cream and salt. Spread over the top of each cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 cakes (8 servings each).
1 slice: 490 calories, 33g fat (14g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Nutty Chocolate Cake
"Yummy! I just love the almond filling. It is so good! I often make the cake layers ahead of time and freeze, then just take them out on the day I want to finish up the cake. It's so impressive looking and is wonderful too served with fresh raspberries or fresh sliced strawberries."
"I can't believe how easy this recipe was to make. I just made one big cake with each cake being a layer. The filling was absolutely delicious & my kids were loving all the different tastes. This was my first layer cake, I'm more of a cook than a baker, & I enjoyed making it. A simple recipe with a huge impact of decadent scrumptiousness!!! If you're an almond lover like I am, the mix of chocolate with the almond filling is out of this world. It pairs wonderfully together. We ate it with a side of rocky road ice cream for my daughters 11th birthday. No store bought cake could compare to the smiles & raves my birthday girl made about this cake. Thank you so much for sharing."