Nutty Chocolate Cake Recipe
I got the idea for this incredibly easy yet impressive holiday dessert from a magazine. It is now a family favorite—and has been for the last 15 years! It is absolutely gorgeous on my buffet.—Linda DuVal, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 2. For filling, in a small bowl, beat almond paste and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in cream until fluffy. Cut each cake horizontally in half; spread filling over bottom layers. Replace top layers.
- 3. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in sour cream and salt. Spread over the top of each cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 cakes (8 servings each).
1 slice equals 490 calories, 33 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC