Nutty Chocolate Batons Recipe
“The great taste of a buttery cookie combines with a touch of chocolate and the crunch of nuts. An added bonus is that these look so elegant- people will think you fussed.” —Angela Leinenbach, Mechanicsville, Virginia
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup almond paste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pistachios, finely chopped and toasted
- 1. In a small bowl, cream the butter, sugar and almond paste until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Gradually add flour and mix well. Shape into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough into eight equal portions: divide each portion in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 12-in. rope; cut each rope into 2-in. lengths. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Dip ends of each cookie in chocolate, then in pistachios. Let stand on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 dozen.
1 cookie equals 39 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC