Nutty Caramels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melted chocolate, optional
- 1. Line a 9-in.-square baking pan with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, milk and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft–ball stage).
- 3. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook and stir until thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 4. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.
- 5. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1-in. squares. If desired, drizzle with chocolate. Let stand until set. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.
1 caramel: 40 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, trace fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Nutty Caramels
"These remind me of the caramels that my aunt used to make and hide so no one else would eat them. I used walnuts and it turned out great. They are easy to make, but takes a long time to get to the right temp. but well worth the stirring and patience."
"RECIPE CALLS FOR MELTED MILK CHOCOLATE.IS IT THE SQUARES OF CHOCOLATE? AND IT DOES'NT SAY HOW MUCH TO USE."
"At first I didn't think this would be enough. It seemed to make such a small batch. But after they were cut there were plenty. We love caramels and this one will stay around a long time. We love the mix of caramels and nuts and this is a perfect combination."
"This is the first candy recipe I've ever made. Good stuff!"