A cousin passed this quick and easy recipe on to me. We make it every Christmas and include the caramels in gift baskets we share with family and friends.
81 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melted milk chocolate
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon
- butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, milk and
- remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is
- dissolved. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly, until a candy
- thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared
- pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely. Using foil, lift
- caramels out of pan; discard foil. Cut into small squares or
- diamonds. Drizzle each with chocolate if desired. Yield: 1-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 40 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.