Nutty Barley Bake Recipe
When I started bringing this distinctive dish to holiday dinners, a lot of people had never seen barley in anything but soup. They have since dubbed me "the barley lady", and now I wouldn't dare bring anything this dish. Even if I double the recipe, I come home with an empty pan. -Renate Crump, Los Angeles, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- Additional parsley, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, barley and nuts in butter until barley is lightly browned. Stir in the parsley, green onions, salt and pepper.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in broth. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 262 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC