Nutty Barley Bake Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- Additional parsley, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, barley and nuts in butter until barley is lightly browned. Stir in the parsley, green onions, salt and pepper.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in broth. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 262 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Nutty Barley Bake
"Excellent and easy to prepare!"
"Very good recipe plus it's something different!"
"Made it several times. Makes a great and different side dish for a change."
"It was great! I added chopped carrots since the chopper was out for the onion. It was delicious!"
"I started making this many years ago when it was first published. My husband wouldn't have Thanksgiving without it!"
"I did not use the butter; but put all the ingredients into the microwave. I cooked it on a lower setting and it was delicious. I liked lowering the fat content and it was nice and moist without the butter."
"This is excellent! I served it for a group dinner party and everyone loved it!"
"Good recipe. I have successfully prepared this on the stovetop, adding a bit more liquid than the recipe calls for."
"Absolutely wonderful! I will be making this recipe many times in the future!Wonderful flavor! Redawna"