- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- Additional parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, barley and nuts in butter until barley is lightly browned. Stir in the parsley, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in broth. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Nutty Barley Bake
Sort By :
"Very good recipe plus it's something different!"
"Made it several times. Makes a great and different side dish for a change."
"It was great! I added chopped carrots since the chopper was out for the onion. It was delicious!"
"I started making this many years ago when it was first published. My husband wouldn't have Thanksgiving without it!"