Nutty Apple Salad
Peanut butter in the dressing and interesting ingredients like marshmallows and mixed nuts give this Waldorf salad a tasty twist. I've tried versions without the peanut butter, but this is my favorite.
-Maryellen Hays, Fort Wayne, Indiana
12-14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed tart apples
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 2 cups halved seedless grapes
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 cup cold evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine apples, celery, grapes and marshmallows. In
- a chilled bowl, beat milk until frothy. Add sugar and vanilla. beat
- in mayonnaise and peanut butter.
- Pour over apple mixture; stir until coated. Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, stir in nuts if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 91 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.