Nutty Apple-Filled Muffins Recipe
The inspiration for these muffins came from a favorite coffee cake. I wanted to put it in a form our four girls could munch while playing. For variety, I'll sometimes substitute prepared blueberry or lemon pie filling for the delectable from-scratch apple filling. -Hollie Gregory, Mt. Vision, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Add apples; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Cool.
- 2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- 3. Spoon 1/4 cupfuls of batter into greased jumbo muffin cups. Spoon apple mixture into the center of each (do not spread). Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-27 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1 dozen jumbo muffins or 2 dozen regular muffins.
1 serving (1 each) equals 494 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 109 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC