Nutmeg Zucchini Bisque Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sour cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process on low until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt, basil, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and additional nutmeg if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 306 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Nutmeg Zucchini Bisque
"I never have heavy whipping cream in the house, so I subbed about 3 oz of low fat cream cheese and a 1/4 cup skim milk. Add the cream cheese when you have your food processor out or the consistancy won't be as smooth. I also added a couple cloves of garlic to the onion and zucchini, and cut the butter in half. I love basil, so I punched that up to a whole Tablespoon. Delicious, creamy, and a lovely way to use my garden gifts!"
"I used some frozen shredded zucchini from the freezer and added 1% milk instead of the heavy whipping cream to help with calories. It was great. Would definitely make again."
"A dollop of sour cream and I'm in Heaven when I eat this soup."
"I checked a cookbook and 1 med. zucchini gives you about 2 cups. If you have a food processor, shred the zucchini that way. You're done in a few minutes."
"One of the last times I made this recipe I was in the mood for a little eastern flair. So I added a little Curry Powder to taste, and my husband raved about. No leftovers"
"Approximately how many cups of shredded zucchini does 4 medium zucchini provide?"
"I am new so hope it is ok just 2 jump in but think this recipe sounds so good--I love zucchini--This year I tried something a little different(for me)-We dont have room to grow cukes in our garden & the price of the Kirby variety has been so pricey so I put on my thinking cap & made zucchini pickles--used my recipe for regular lime B&B pickles and they turned out great--I did use small , tender squash & didnt peel them--Hope to make a few more later--Thanks for a great soup recipe--"
"I have made this soup many times. I have even gave my sister the recipe. It's creamy and just delicious. Very easy to make especially is you have a lot of zucchini."