Nutmeg Zucchini Bisque Recipe
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sour cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor; cover and process on low until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt, basil, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and additional nutmeg if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Nutmeg Zucchini Bisque
Sort By :
I never have heavy whipping cream in the house, so I subbed about 3 oz of low fat cream cheese and a 1/4 cup skim milk. Add the cream cheese when you have your food processor out or the consistancy won't be as smooth. I also added a couple cloves of garlic to the onion and zucchini, and cut the butter in half. I love basil, so I punched that up to a whole Tablespoon. Delicious, creamy, and a lovely way to use my garden gifts!
I used some frozen shredded zucchini from the freezer and added 1% milk instead of the heavy whipping cream to help with calories. It was great. Would definitely make again.
A dollop of sour cream and I'm in Heaven when I eat this soup.
I checked a cookbook and 1 med. zucchini gives you about 2 cups. If you have a food processor, shred the zucchini that way. You're done in a few minutes.
This is a great soup. Simple to make. I like to serve it with croutons or some warm bread or rolls on the side.