Bake an extra batch of these tender, golden waffles on the weekend. Eat one, then freeze the other in packages of two, to pop in the toaster and reheat on hurried mornings. Nutmeg adds to their warm, feel-good flavor!
James Christensen - St. Anthony, Idaho
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt,
- nutmeg and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil
- and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's
- directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup if
- desired. Yield: 8 waffles.
Nutritional Facts: 2 waffles (calculated without butter and syrup) equals 196 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.