My grandma shared her recipe for these old-fashioned sugar cookies with the unexpected taste of nutmeg. They are light, crunchy and so delicious. That's why they're always a part of the Christmas tradition.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Nutmeg Sugar Crisps in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p28
Reviews for Nutmeg Sugar Crisps
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review