Nutmeg Sugar Cookies Recipe
The holidays are my favorite time of year because I love to bake. These are one of my favorite cookies—they always disappear fast!—Jean Wysocki, Westminster, Colorado
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into 14 pieces. Shape each portion into a 12-in. x 1/2-in.-thick rope. Cut ropes into 2-in. pieces. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 9-12 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extracts; beat until blended. Beat in enough cream to achieve desired consistency.
- 5. Frost cookies. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 7 dozen.
1 cookie equals 62 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC