In Pine Island, Minnesota, Pat Walter stirs up these moist, fluffy muffins as a speedy accompaniment to a salad lunch. A sprinkling of sugar and nutmeg creates the tempting topping.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, beat egg until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar and shortening; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into sour cream mixture just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Combine nutmeg and remaining sugar; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 9 muffins.
Originally published as Nutmeg Sour Cream Muffins in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p49
Reviews for Nutmeg Sour Cream Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review