Nutmeg Sauced Apples
"THIS RECIPE is from an 1883 housekeepers New Cookbook which has been well used all these years. The recipes in this book aren't as specific as you see todaythey say, 'add some', 'slight amount', 'take some', 'cook short time', etc. One really has to experiment, but a good cook will quickly come up with the correct amounts."
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- Place apples in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add water. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from the
- oven and keep warm. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, flour and
- nutmeg. Stir in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Serve warm over apples. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 160 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.