Nutmeg Muffins Recipe
A pretty brown sugar topping adds a pleasant sweetness to these tender breakfast treats from Sharon Evans of Clear Lake, Iowa. "The nutmeg provides a nice change of pace from other muffins that are seasoned with cinnamon," she says.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping. To the remaining crumb mixture, add the baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and remaining flour. Combine eggs and buttermilk; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 204 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 225 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Nutmeg Muffins
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC